Research Part 2 - Fruit Machine

Pierre Theilhard de Chardin

MY QUOTE:

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.

We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin SJ

My quote was taken from a French Idealist philosopher named Pierre Teilhard de Chardin SJ. He was trained as a geologist and took part in the discovery of 'Peking Man'; an extinct creature of the species Homo Erectus. The fossils were found near Beijing, China. On the basis of a single tooth, Peking man was identified as a member of the human lineage by the likes of Davidson Black in 1927. I find it very interesting that Pierre Teilhard de Chardin SJ was connected to this groundbreaking scientific discovery and the fact that it relates to the quote given to me. 

'Our Soul, that part of us that observes quietly behind what we do, think, believe and feel, existed before this human life and will continue to exist after our present physical life transitions. For each of us, our Soul is where unconditional love, unending forgivingness, compassion, harmony, peace and joy reside. Our Soul is a little piece of the Divine, here to experience this life and its lessons. We are, indeed, Spiritual Beings having a human experience.' 

Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/pierre_teilhard_de_chardi_160888

Gainsborough - Fruit Machine

MY IMAGE

Thomas Gainsborough was an English portrait and landscape painter as well as printmaker. His quick method of painting enabled him to become the dominant British portraitist of the second half of the 18th century. He uses a light palette and easy brush strokes.

52e8e8d9322b5235c0fddc9e71364a0b--thomas-gainsborough-british-artists.jpg

Apparently, Gainsborough preferred landscapes to portraits yet the portraits he produced had a far more personal quality. A good example of this is the image that was given to me at random to research:

Thomas_Gainsborough_-_Mary_and_Margaret_Gainsborough,_the_artist's_daughters.jpg

Mary and Margaret Gainsborough, the artist's daughters.

The 7 Stages Of Life

Linking back to the Pierre Teilhard de Chardin quote; "We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience." I decided to do some research on these experiences, both human and spiritual. In the religion of Islam it is believed that the soul goes through 7 stages of life and experiences. 

1. Life in Lau Ho Mahfouz: Allah (God) created all the souls that are destined to come to earth. These souls are kept in Lau Ho Mahfouz. As a person is born, the soul is transported to the physical world and into the human body. Everything about the universes and our souls before and after creation are believed to be recorded in a tablet (book) board in heaven or Lau Ho Mahfouz. 

2. Life in the Mother's Womb.

3. Life in this word: When a baby is born, it is clean, innocent and free of all sins. This reminds me of the portrait painting of Gainsborough's daughters Mary and Margaret. Both have an innocent look and the tender feel of the portrait reminds me of childhood innocence. In this world, children develop, learn and grow into good or bad individuals depending on their upbringing and surroundings. All this is a part of the human experience. This 3rd life stage is a very crucial and important testing ground for human beings.

This way of viewing life is not just in Islam. Many philosophers such as John Hick share similar ideas about the purpose of this world and the experiences we gain from it. Hick believes that God created humans as free but immature and imperfect creatures with the intention that life in this world provides an environment for the moral growth of human beings from immature creatures to true “children of God”. This school of thought originates from the Christian theologian Irenaeus’ teachings, which suggest that God’s image gives us huge capacity for moral growth. This world is like a school, further linking in with my previous ideas regarding children. As the contemporary saying by officer Anil Sinha goes; “in every mistake, there is a potential for growth”. 

4. Death: After we die, we are kept in a place called Alam Barzaak. Here, we await our judgement. 

5. Resurrection On The Day Of Judgement.

6. The End Stage - Hell

7. The End Stage - Heaven

Click here for more information.

Mark Making Print Try-outs

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

Kids Accessories

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

Camouflage

camouflage-green.jpg

camouflage-1581052_960_720.jpg

Camouflage_pattern_texture.png

Lino Prints

IMG_0747.jpg

IMG_0754 2.jpg

IMG_0751 2.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

Primitive Campouflage

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 19.23.35.png

c22.jpg

creek-stewart-nat-camo-hollo9w-tree.jpg

article-2359073-1ABCADE3000005DC-709_634x703.jpg

Interactive Walls

Dell_6_1620x1020.jpg

Having narrowed down to looking at objects kids would like, I decided to have a look at interactive walls instead of focusing on camouflage alone. In a few hospitals around the globe, interactive walls are used for kids.

The image above is of a child playing with the new MotionMagix™. It is described as a revolutionary technology due to its practical, cost-effective and fun nature. Interactive Floors as well as Interactive Walls created with MotionMagix™ can convert any space into a fun-filled experience for children.

Advantages:

- Low attention span of kids requires use of specialized systems and interactive content for their total engagement

- A healthy way of blending mental and physical activity unlike traditional methods

- Hygienic, safe, reliable and no-wear-and-tear system

- Improves collaboration, participation and cognitive skills in kids

- Variety of games and customizable templates for hours and hours of fun and education for kids

8ff945cd5a9a80dc37268dfdd7f0873b--interactive-exhibition-interactive-media.jpg

Quote From Website Article:

"fd2s developed a comprehensive donor recognition program for the new 500,000-square-foot Dell Children’s Medical Center of Central Texas. The program includes large-scale installations for major donors, secondary donors, and employees, and elements for recognition of donations associated with particular facilities and departments." 

Learn More at FD2.COM

Amusement Parks

Experience: Practical contact with and observation of facts or events.

The Oxford dictionary has two main definitions when it comes to the word experience;

1. The knowledge/skill acquired by a period of practical experience of something, especially that gained in a particular profession. 

2. An event or occurrence which leaves an impression on someone.

My focus is on the second definition of the word experience. Furthermore, having done some research on the seven stages of life, I feel that I should take it further by relating my research to my 'experience'. When I think of life, I think of a cycle. Perhaps I could focus on circles and circular shaped rides in amusement parks to represent the life cycle. 

17f076ad53dcc6ef7a89c931c7057d68.png

nintchdbpict000250031688.jpg

81c33555a520a6a47c204150394af9c2--roller-coasters-amusement-parks.jpg

Shapes Inspired By Amusement Parks

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0727.jpg

IMG_0726.jpg

Ferris Wheels (Circle Symbolism)

PRIMARY RESEARCH

IMG_3165.JPGIMG_3166.JPGIMG_3167.JPGIMG_3168.JPG

Thinking About Light, Colour and Tone:

IMG_3163.JPGIMG_3164.JPG

Wall Paper Print Design Idea

IMG_2357.jpg

Fields marked by '*' are required.
    Comments are moderated. If you choose to make this comment public, it will not be visible to others until it is approved by the owner.